xDSD Gryphon Portable HD DAC / Balanced Headphone Amplifier, by iFi Audio.
Portable DAC/amps tend to be compromised because they focus on a great digital OR a great analogue section. But not both. The xDSD Gryphon is different. Just like its mythical namesake, it is two beasts in one.
From the Ultra-Res digital stage using the Burr-Brown MultiBit at the core to the PureWave analogue power section pumping out 1,000mW and other things in-between, it takes serious headphones to tame the Gryphon.
Using the latest QCC 5100 series Bluetooth v5.1 as the starting point, for wireless connectivity, the xDSD Gryphon is at the bleeding-edge when it comes to the latest formats. Not only this but the above is on the iFi digital platform where each section is distinct. So QC5100 for reception > Global Master Clock for jitter > Burr-Brown for DAC conversion. More effort but that’s why the iFi Audio wireless technology gives wired a run for the money.
In terms of wired connectivity, the xDSD Gryphon handles all the formats using a hybrid Burr-Brown DAC chipset which is the same as used in the iFi Audio Pro iDSD Signature flagship model. Rest assured that all the latest formats are catered for, but most importantly, are pushed to their zenith.
The xDSD Gryphon uses PureWave amplification circuitry. It has 1,000mW at 32 Ohms. With a whopping max 6.7v output, bring on the high impedance headphones because the Gryphon will not break a sweat driving them. This is plenty to drive all manner of headphones. The 4.4mm Pentaconn is the best for balanced playback. The 3.5mm S-Balanced will max SE headphones. And your premium high-sensitivity IEMs have not been forgotten either – iEMatch will cut out the hiss.
The usual iFi Audio features are also included – XSpace adds back the cavernous sound stage of recordings. XBass II reinstates the missing bass from open-backed headphones or for recordings that you hanker for bass slam. Under XBass II you can select Bass and/or Presence so that the upper midrange frequencies are correctly added back into your favourite recording.
Also included is iEMatch – the proprietary tech which reduces the annoying hiss from high-sensitivity headphones without losing any dynamic range. With digital sources, users can choose between three bespoke digital filters via the on-screen menu: Bit-Perfect, Standard and GTO (Gibbs Transient Optimised), each having a fine-tuning effect on sound.
The OLED display and iFi’s CyberSync operating system combined, usher in a whole new world of user enjoyment – all information from format to battery life is there. Just as importantly, SilentLine technology means the display does not add noise into the system. It can even be set to off if preferred.
- State-of-the-Art, Ultra-Res digital technology.
- Three dedicated stages – Bluetooth, DAC and amplifier – optimized for max performance.
- PureWave analogue technology.
- Ultra-res PCM up to 32-bit/768kHz via USB (192kHz via optical/coaxial).
- Native playback up to DSD512.
- Full MQA decoding (up to 384kHz).
- Advanced 96kHz Bluetooth 5.1 +module with QCCS100 chipset.
- Supports HD Bluetooth formats including aptX HD, aptX Adaptive, LDAC and HWA/LHDC.
- Wireless – Bluetooth 5.1 (aptX, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive, aptX LL, LDAC, HWA, AAC and SBC Codec)
- Wired (digital) – USB-C, S/PDIF co-axial
- Wired (analogue) – Balanced 4.4mm, Single-Ended 3.5mm
- DSD – DSD512/256/128/64, Octa/Quad/Double/Single-Speed
- PCM – 768/705.6/384/352.8/192/176.4/ 96/88.2/48/44.1kHz
- DXD – 768/705.6/384/352.8kHz, Double/Single-Speed DXD
- MQA (Decoder) – 384/352.8kHz
- Bluetooth – Up to 96kHz
- DAC: Burr-Brown
- Battery: USB-C charging, BC1.2 compliant up to 1900 mA charging current
- Dimensions: 123 x 75 x 19 mm
- Weight: 215 g
- Line Section
- Outputs: Balanced 6.7V max. (variable) / S-Bal (SE) 3.5 V max. (variable)
- Output Impedance: Balanced ≤200Ω, <110dB(A) @ 0dBFS, <0.007% @ 0dBFS / S-Bal (SE) ≤100Ω, <110dB(A) @ 0dBFS, <0.015% @ 0dBFS
- Headphone Section
- Outputs: Balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn / S-Bal (SE) 3.5mm SE
- Output Power: Balanced >1000mW @ 32Ω, >74mW @ 600Ω, >6.7V max. @ 600Ω / S-Bal (SE) >320mW @ 32Ω, >40mW @ 300Ω, >3.5V max. @ 600Ω
- Output Impedance: Balanced <1Ω / S-Bal (SE) <1Ω
- SNR: Balanced <116dB(A) @ 0dBFS / S-Bal (SE) <115dB(A) @ 0dBFS
- THD+N: <0.005% (1V @ 16Ω)