Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 Hybrid Ceramic Earphones
Dorado 2020 by Campfire Audio breathes new life into the name and the legacy of the 2015 original, with a fresh take on a classic hybrid design.
One balanced armature and one dynamic driver. No cross-over, no complications. These distilled pairings reproduce sound more faithfully, with improved resolution and cohesion than those with over-complicated cross-over schemes. The result is a detailed yet natural sound. They are resolving and emotionally engaging — a true hybrid in design and sonic presentation.
A single balanced armature augments the custom-tuned 10 mm A.D.L.C. diaphragm dynamic driver. Leaving the sparkling highs to the balanced armature, the dynamic driver is afforded the space to dig in a bit deeper, reach a bit lower, and deliver rich and satisfying bass. Vocal delivery is precise and pronounced. Dorado 2020 is very much a hybrid high-fidelity earphone.
Campfire Audio was the first company to introduce a ceramic body earphone with the original Lyra in 2015. With the 2020 Dorado and Vega models, they have returned to this excellent material.
Ceramic is dense, which is part of the appeal when designing an earphone. The density pairs well with dynamic drivers because it prevents vibrations from running wild. It also has the added benefit of being extremely scratch resistant.
Campfire Audio ceramic shells get their strength through a sintering process. Two days are spent at 600 degrees, followed by three days at 1200 degrees. As a result, this extended exposure to high heat dramatically reduces the size and increases their density of the parts. Each shell then spends up to 3 days in a tumbler, along with small alumina stones and water. This polishing process gives them their attractive high-gloss surface finish.
Dorado 2020 employs a machined brass spout with a gunmetal grey P.V.D. finish. The conical shape and reduced diameter of the spout provide further tuning enhancements while also improving wear comfort. The super-small balanced armature sits centrally in the spout, and its proximity to the exit gives it an enhanced presence in just the right proportion.
Being a hybrid IEM, Dorado 2020 is unique from Vega in adding another component; a single high frequency focused balanced armature. Dorado uses a custom-tuned dynamic driver as well – one that shares similar elements to its full-range sibling found in Vega.
- Black Ceramic Shell.
- Single Custom Balanced Armature (High)
- 10 mm A.D.L.C. Diaphragm Dynamic Driver (Mid+Low)
- Oversized Neodymium Rare Earth Magnet.
- Custom Beryllium / Copper MMCX Connections.
- Brass Spout with Midnight Grey PVD finish.
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz – 22 kHz
- SPL @ 1 kHz: 94 dB / 18.52 mVrs
- Impedance: 10 Ohm @ 1 kHz
- Campfire Audio Diver Orange Upcycled Marine Plastic Zipper Case, made in Portugal.
- Campfire Audio Litz Cable, Silver Plated Copper Conductors with Beryllium Copper MMCX + 3.5 mm Stereo Plug.
- Final Audio Tips (XS/S/M/L/XL)
- Campfire Audio Earphone Tips (S/M/L)
- Silicon Earphone Tips (S/M/L)
- Campfire Audio Lapel Pin.
- Cleaning Tool.